After 5 years offline, IsaacNewton.org.uk is being updated during 2006.
Please bear with us while we track down all
the dead links etc.
Notes on the Inventory
- General layout
- The layout produced by most graphical browsers should be rather
similar to the layout on the page in
Newton: the Man.
However, I haven't tried to use HTML as a page description
language and so there are some differences.
- Only Hannah Tompson's declaration (or exhibitation?) has been
included. The subsequent ones have been omitted as noted at the
end of the text.
- Marginal headings
- All five of Villamil's marginal headings to the different rooms have
- Spelling, case and punctuation
- These are intended to be identical to the text in Newton: the
Man. In particular, there are a lot of lists which would
benefit from commas but I have resisted the temptation to add them.
(Hopefully I haven't put any in subconsciously.)
- Pounds, shillings and pence
- Most of the sums of money are expressed as three figures separated
by spaces in Newton: the Man and periods (``.'') in this
transcription. eg £11.16.6 is eleven pounds, sixteen
shillings and sixpence. One shilling equalled 12 pennies and there
were 240 pennies to the pound (and we struggled on with this
system till 1970...)
- Special characters
- Several special characters have been used in the transcription. All
of them are part of Latin-1 and displaying them properly (or at
least sensibly) is a required part of ``being an
HTML browser''. The characters are:
pound sterling ``£'';
one half ``½'';
one quarter ``¼'';
three quarters ``¾'';
- Do. and do.
- Do. and do. are short for ditto.
Back to isaacnewton.org.uk